It is just what my mamma used to make! I can never forget coming back from school and the smell would just be overwhelming. Wow minestrone! I make this on a weekly basis with some Borlotti beans; if you cannot find Borlotti you can use any other beans of your choice.
- Prep Time : 50 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 min + 50 min to cook the beans minutes
- carrots - 2
- chopped spinach - 2 handfuls
- courgettes - 2
- onion - 1
- medium potatoes - 2
- tomatoes - 2
- celery - 1 stick
- butternut squash diced - half of a small one
- peas - half a glass
- fresh, dry or canned beans - 150 g or 1 can
- organic vegetable stock cube - 1
- salt and pepper - to taste
- grated Parmesan - 2 tbsp
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- pastina or small shaped pasta - 120 g
- To cook the fresh or dried beans (if using):
- garlic - 2 cloves
- bay leaves - 2
If you go for dried beans, leave them to soak overnight , then cook them for 50 min with the garlic and the bay leaves (not if you buy canned ones but I personally prefer the dried ones).
Chop all the vegetables into small cubes, then put them in a pot with 2 liters of water, salt and pepper, the stock and bring to the boil.
When it is boiling turn the heat down and cook for 45 min. Whilst still boiling, add the pasta and cook it until al dente.
Add the beans, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the Parmesan. Stir and leave to rest for a few minutes.
Add extra Parmesan for extra flavour 🙂