Do you know what’s the first thing I want to tuck into as soon as I land in Italy?
After my beloved mamma’s minestrone it has to be San Daniele ham.
This time I landed in Italy and the prosciutto (ham) was already there waiting for me and not only that, I also received a chunk of Grana Padano cheese.
Of course I waisted no time: I made myself a panino with the ham and I also enjoyed it wrapped around some chunky breadsticks too. San Daniele dry cured ham with its sweetness just melts in your mouth and I had Grana Padano just on its own. This cheese is well known for its “grainy” consistency, it is rich, full of flavour and if you did not know it, it has lots of calcium much more than any other cheeses, that’s why we Italians love to give it to our children. It is also ideal grated on pasta or risottos.
My children have grown up with both Grana Padano and San Daniele ham.
My home town is just 30 minutes away from the San Daniele factories and we made several trips there to buy some good ham. Both products carry the DOP certification which is short for “Denominazione di Origine Protetta” or “Protected Designation of Origin”.
This certification makes sure that the products are locally produced and packaged and it guarantees that the food is made by local farmers and artisans using traditional methods. So always check out for the DOP certificate!
Today I am giving away, courtesy of the San Daniele and Grana Padano Consortiums 100 grams of sliced San Daniele ham and a chunk of Grana Padano so you can make up your panino too!
Enter the gleam form below for your chance to win it.
Terms and conditions:
- You can enter with the Gleam widget below via blog comment, twitter, instagram, pinterest or facebook.
- Please comment on this blogpost before proceeding with other entry options (this is mandatory).
- One winner will be randomly selected, announced in this blog post and contacted via their provided e-mail address. Please claim your prize within 4 days of being notified.
- Giveaway open to UK residents over the age of 18 only.
- This giveaway closes on August 29th 2016
WINNER: SUE O.
I was sent some San Daniele ham and Grana Padano to review all opinions are my own.